Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Crazy for You

Crazy For You

Nervousness was not in my mind that time. I was running late! As I was walking towards the entrance, I was expecting to see familiar faces. This is the first time I’m getting in the place and probably my last one. I saw friends coming my way. We greeted each other then went inside the small room… I was really anxious to the new acquaintances I am about to meet. I was really excited then got nervous at the same time.

There are parallel buildings erected at the side of a small field… Each building consists of rooms with metal railings. Inside each room were normal looking people. Yes they were “normal looking.” I noticed some of them were sleeping and others were starring blankly across the small field.

Suddenly, a skin headed man screamed nonsense things at the top of his voice. The other one with handcuffs was doing some aggressive high kicks and punching in the air. Another one was singing a Christmas song loud enough for everyone to hear while creeping on the bars. (December is a long way off!). As I turned my gaze, I saw a woman with a broom in one hand and she was squatting on the ground. She swept all the decaying leaves on the ground and piled it in one place. [compulsive behavior] The place after all was not that terrible as I imagined. The moistened ground seemed to give the whole place a fresh look. There were also trees and plants growing in the place. I saw another woman watering the plants. She seemed busy so I ignored her. The two women must be the utility workers I thought. They were doing a good job! The place looks entirely normal.

First time baby. As I was watching those people from afar, I thought that I should have mustered and mastered those therapeutic communication techniques they were teaching in school.

We were allowed to talk to most of them behind the bars but were instructed to keep a little distance. I was told that most patients were schizophrenic [gk: split mind].

I talked to one of them…

He spits at people and he doesn’t care about hygiene. He hadn’t taken his bath for a couple of weeks so he smells kinda funky musty. He was lying on his bed which was near the metal railings when I first saw him. He seemed cool. But still I kept my distance from him.

I asked him questions and he replied calmly. But I was on guard all throughout our conversation… hehe.. One topic didn’t have any connection to the next. (yayyyyk!) I noticed that he was having flight of ideas. At one moment he was talking about how much he enjoys basketball but cuts it off short by talking about terrorism… his girlfriends which includes “Diana Torres,” his senator friends and his acquaintance with Pres. Bush. I thought it was funny! It sounds stupid but it was fun! Hehe…

His companion in the room was making so much noise so I paused for a moment and tried to talk to him too. The problem was, he thinks he’s a truck… he beeps, he breaks, he runs all over the room. LOL.

I didn’t feel fear. I was entertained!

How do u tell a truck to talk to you?!

But in fairness, I enjoyed being there. I got to meet eccentric, bizzare, unpredictable.... people!… Anyone who wants total freedom should envy those guys in the ward. hehe...

angelina O:-)

No comments: